Friday, October 9, 2009

Introduction

I am working on writing a book about post-apocalyptic technology. The main point of the book is to be a reference guide on how to make useful things if civilization fails. The first part of the book, which is more about survival techniques and social interaction, is nearly finished and now I am getting to the part about actually making things. While I am already well versed in making things like charcoal, I need some experience in making things like forges (think, iron forge/melting metals).

Currently I have been working on building a small forge from a clay pot and fireplace cement, but it turns out that my pot forge actually exceeds 2100F, which is the limit of the fireplace cement.

Anyhow, I have decided to start writing about my progress in various projects I have been working on. My current project is the mini-forge, however I have some other projects which are currently on hold, for various reasons. One of them is the creation of a very small pulsejet engine. Also, since my forge is already capable of melting aluminum, I will probably soon have some new projects related to casting aluminum, once the forge is finished and working properly.

Now, on to the forge!

No comments:

Post a Comment